Home to historical landmarks and a multitude of hiking trails, East Haddam, Connecticut is a town in Middlesex county. East Haddam resides on the eastern side of the Connecticut River. It is large in land size, covering a total of 56.6 square miles, however, the population is only approximately 9,000 residents.
Prior to 1650, the area of East Haddam was inhabited by three Native American Tribes: the Wangunks, the Mohegans, and the Nehantics. They called the area "Machimoodus" (the place of small noises), due to the miniature earth quakes that were recorded over the course of 200 years. In 1662, the land now known as Haddam and East Haddam was purchased for approximately $100.
Incorporated in 1734, East Haddam separated itself from Haddam, and by 1756, the population had nearly met 2,000 residents. During the 1800's, the population grew to approximately 3,000 people, and various sections of the town were named. These different areas of East Haddam include(d): Millington, Hadlyme, North Plains, Leesville, Johnsonville, Moodus, and Little Haddam.
In the mid 19th-century, The Moodus Drum and Fife Corps was organized, the Goodspeed Opera House was built, and the town itself had begun to thrive until a decline in the early 1900's. Later on in the 20th-century, the population had grown immensely due to the massive success of resort areas throughout the town.